How to build the Ultimate Snack Board
Your Holiday snacking just got a whole lot better (and healthier) with our amazing local, preservative free, wholesome and most delicious charcuterie, cheeses, crackers, spreads and preserves we stock in our markets. To top it off, our very impressive wraparound counter at our Kyalami store is just a stunner. This will make shopping for your next picnic a breeze, with a wide variety of potential snack board ingredients.
We don’t need any excuse to dive into a platter like this – and yes, you can find ALL your ultimate cheese board ingredients from us…
We have a wide range of top local cheeses, spreads, condiments, pickles, relishes, cold meats and charcuterie in both our markets. Remember to grab some fresh organic fruits and vegetables to liven up your cheeseboard. Pop over to the dry goods market and stock up on a huge range of low carb crackers and rice cakes.
It’s all about the cheese…
The more the merrier! Highlighted on our cheese board are five incredible, local cheeses you must try.
- We included the Goat’s Cheese Feta from Belnori – an award winning artisanal dairy farm, for a creamy and delicious bite.
- A snack platter is not complete without a good quality Brie, from local cheesemakers, Le Petite France. Situated just outside Howick, in the KZN Midlands, the team are very passionate about the quality of the milk, rather than the quantity. Don’t forget to also grab a Hilton Blue, a rich and creamy blue cheese with exceptional flavour.
- An unconventional addition to our snack platter is the Garlic Halloumi from The Gourmet Greek– by far the best halloumi cheese we’ve tasted. They use full cream milk which is locally sourced from neighbouring dairy farmers in order to ensure that every mouthful of cheese and yogurt tastes delicious.
- Grab a wedge of Just Cheese Boerenkaas – another amazing small scale cheese producer from the Midlands, for a creamy taste and mild flavour.
- Another cheese product we simply can’t leave out, is the amazing handcrafted, 100% natural, with no added preservatives and lactose free cheese from St. Diary. The semi soft butter cheese is out of this world, and comes highly recommended.
Charcuterie is King
Our charcuterie fridge is packed with loads of specialized cold meats, from one of our most loved suppliers – Richard Bosman. Founded in August 2009, Richard Bosman’s Quality Cured Meats is a small factory committed to producing excellent cured meats using traditional methods. We included some of Richard’s Bresaola, Coppa, Salami and Prosciutto on our platter. You can now get a selection pack of cold meats that includes a selection of delectable cured meats.
Not your normal Chip and Dip
When it comes to adding preserves, spreads, pickles and dips to your snack platter, a simple fig jam just won’t suffice. We’ve rounded up our very favourite condiment additions from our market.
- Basil Pesto Hummus – not only is hummus incredibly nutritious, by adding this spread to your snack platter you are in fact making the herbivores very happy. Add a few fresh vegetables crudites to take it to a new level.
- French Style Paté – Propa Products is bringing the A game with their range of French Style Patés, we are particularly in love with the Brandied Chicken Liver Paté with Orange Jelly. Each paté is handmade and offers unique, delicious flavours with no added preservatives. They are supplied in a resealable 180g container.
- Philippa’s Antipasto range is a great addition to any snack platter, and we are getting rave reviews about the Pepperdew Poppers and the Brinjal and Feta Roll Ups. Definitely an appetizer not to miss.
To complete your Ultimate Snack board, crackers are a must have to dip and spread. It also gives a delicious crunch to the snacking experience. We’ve featured some our most loved crackers that makes for a nifty snack.
- The Flax Crackers from Earthshine is a firm favourite with no artificial additives, GMO’s, Wheat, Gluten or Diary.
- Another fabulous cracker is the range from Life Bake – with loads of flavours to choose from. They are grain-free, preservative free, vegan, with no added sugar and a great snack to enjoy if you are a banter.
- Lastly, we added the Seed Crackers from Pure Banting. The chilli and cheddar flavour cracker get’s the thumbs up from us! Being sugar, wheat and gluten free – these crackers are perfect for banters and diabetics.
And that’s a snack attack wrap
We are ready for the holidays and can’t wait to get our healthy snacking on! Be sure to pop by any of our markets to stock up on your favourite appetizers for the family, and give them the best that they deserve. Have you been to our new Jacksons Kyalami? Remember to give us a follow on Facebook for daily updates and happenings in store.